I’m a part of a new concept in website design and development of which involves crowd sourcing. I’m considering opinions on crowd sourced web development and interest via freelance designers.
We are several months away by launch and seeking feedback on making the site desirable for designers. The opinions are appreciated.
what can be a " crowd sourcing"
What wikipedia says: http: //en. wikipedia. org/wiki/Crowdsourcing
MY SPOUSE AND I haven’t participated within crowdsourcing, but I suppose that it’s a fun concept.
From the web perspective, Crowd Sourcing basically involved an internet site . that offers a service (web design, logo design, PPC, etc. : even loans/Lending Tree), but leverages the community to provide all or component of the service. From the loan example, Lending Tree is the site, but personal banks provide the particular loans. From a new design perspective, Brand Tournament and 99 Layouts are examples, where by designers compete through submitting designs internet. I’ve used Logo Tournament a variety of times and the idea works great.
The new concept, that will launch in a few months is labeled SiteTropolis, and will make use of a community of web site designers to provide models. The key, which were working hard with, is to make coursesmart (and process) a desirable and profitable experience for designers as well as customers. That is section of the reason I’m trying to find feedback from designers-so we could design our processes for their liking.
Ah I notice – thanks to the explanation, i think I am aware of now…
To ensure the client would fork out " SiteTropolis", after that " SiteTropolis" would pay designers to get the designs
We can forsee a problem: if anything will go wrong or this designer doesn’t so what the client desires, " SiteTropolis" is going to be stuck with the problem…
Until " SiteTropolis" will probably just be a resource to look for a designer
Were still working over the details, but the process is such which the designer isn’t paid until the prospect selects the designer’s layout. Designers also get reviewed after a while, so that the buyer can see of which " Joe the actual Designer" has been preferred 20 times and features a high grade.
Of the best ways to understand doing this that I realize of is view Logo Tournament. We used to do logos for our clients, but now we just imply to them this site. Its much quicker along with affordable for them and in addition they get many alternatives. My brother simply used them, during my suggestion. His company, WordMasters paid $500-$750 and received a couple of hundred logo designs available as one week.
This trend will keep growing, so it truly is worth your time period understanding it, regardless if you want to participate.
Personally, I hate the idea (it has corporate and business buzzword written through out it) and the idea as it relates to web design in addition to see it because 2012 web design fad… although I did be familiar with 99 Designs A FEW months ago myself.
At this point, before you receive mad and soar down my can range f, I’m going to explain why. Take into account as well which i have experience in the standpoint of both within your potential target markets (the wp website designer and the web site design customer/project manager):
1) The designers that might participate in this may generally fall into 1 of 2 categories:
- Starving artists searching for work who will probably sell themselves short
- Companies, primarily offshore companies, that will turn the structure competition concept suitable giant template factory just whenever the first article is revealed how these sites include the next big issue and what you can do if your design and style isn’t selected (since Truly mentioned it publicly, I give this about 3 many months, and I also predict no one will give me credit with the idea either). In the event the design customer selects the company, then the company gets paid for the template. In any other case, templatemonster. com gets another template available for sale.
In sometimes case, the top-tier layout talent… as in those designers who would actually work and give thought to the design along with implement things that would give the design customer the top chance at achievements… probably won’t participate. Why See the next reason.
2) Having hired people from the very recent past (read: the last number of months), the typical design job will probably yield 3-7 decent-to-good future employees. Let’s take the common for simplicity plus use 5 as the amount of competitors.
That means realistically, a good designer features a 1 in 5 possibility that having his/her deisgn decided on. Let’s assume that this designer is adequate to double his/her possibility and give the particular designer a COUPLE OF in 5 likelihood. That means for each 5 designs, 2 is going to be selected and paid for. The other SEVERAL, which the designer has been forced to work just as hard on, will possibly be rejected.
That means the fact that designer have to charge 2. 5 times precisely what he/she normally would for off the waste of your time created by doing another three jobs. Is that designer going for getting the extra ONLY TWO. 5x as significantly money No… it’s actually a crowdsourcing competition, which means which the design factory types could charge their natural rates because they’re jost visiting flip their template to another individual if they you should not sell it within the crowdsourcing site.
You become that waste of energy as a designer/developer getting interviewed by prospective clients without landing them, but it’s nowhere near to the degree that it exists with a new crowdsourcing site.
3) From the standpoint of another person hiring, I wouldn’t work with it because I don’t want to sit and study generic cover letters And show at generic designs which i know are just visiting be sold off basically don’t pick these anyway.
4) I am aware I can hire the best designer/developer on oDesk, observe his/her work, speak to the designer/developer during the entire process, and monitor their work by oDesk Team. oDesk by alone provides a standalone reason why crowdsourcing design sites don’t need to exist.
5) Once again, I know which the good designers still might not use a site similar to this because it doesn’t make financial feel for them.
Needless to say, now that We have said this, we’re going to see another number of or so of pop up. Someone will probably make a clone script. And we’ll many be annoyed by these websites until about the particular summer of 2013 when the 99% of the actual crocodile sites stop functioning before maturity leaving 1% of crocodi